WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. It is a wireless networking standard which try to make connections between a router and wireless devices faster and easier. WPS only works on wireless networks that have WPA Personal orWPA2 Personal security. WPS does not works for wireless networks which using the deprecated WEP security. If you want to connect a wireless device to a wireless network, you have to know the network name (it is known as SSID) and the password (It is known as WPA-PSK key). In a case, if use WPS button, you do not need to enter any password. There are several methods to connect a wireless network by using WPS. Let’s see those methods in the text below.
- At first to turn on the discovery of new devices, you have to press the WPS button on your router. Then, you can go to your laptop, smartphone or tablet and select the network which you want to connect to. Automatically your device gets connected to the wireless network without you enter the network password.
- Maybe you have the devices like wireless range extenders or wireless printers with their own WPS button which you can use for making very quick connections. If you want to connect them to your wireless network, you can do it by pressing the WPS button on the router and then on those devices. During this process, you do not have to input any data. Automatically WPS will sends the network password and these devices remember it for using next time.
- In the third method you can connect a wireless network by using PIN. It has eight-digit PIN. All routers with WPS enabled have a PIN code that is automatically generated and it cannot be changed by the users. From the WPS configuration page on your router, you can learn this PIN. Usually, some devices without use a WPS button but with WPS support, it will ask for that PIN. They authenticate themselves and connect to the wireless network, if you enter it.
- The last method to connect a wireless network also involves using an eight-digit PIN which will generate a client PIN. You can enter this PIN in your router’s wireless configuration panels. Afterwards the router will use it to add that device to the network.
At the most case, many users who are still confusing to configure a wireless printer with WPS method. Well, in this article we will also share the way to connect a wireless printer to a wireless network.
- Please put your wireless printer near your Wi-Fi router. If your printer has a wireless button on the control panel, press and hold it until the light starts to blink to enable Wi-Fi.
- After that you have to press the WPS button on your wireless router.
- Wait a few minutes to allow your wireless printer establishes a network connection with your wireless router.
- Then please press WPS button on your router for two minutes since you start the WPS setup process.
- Finally your printer will be connected to your wireless network after pressing WPS button.