Microsoft Excel is an amazing spreadsheet software application that people can use for recording data, sorting and manipulation either for individual or business purposes. But, have you suddenly faced a runtime error 1004 when you are operating your Microsoft Excel? If yes, then it will be very annoying. Moreover, if it happens when you are working the important data. The pop up message of this error will say, “Run-time error 1004. Application-defined or object-defined error.”
The error of Visual Basic Runtime Error 1004 can occur because of some reasons:
- A range value is set with a group of large string programmatically.
- Error appears because of application or object defined error.
- It happens as filtered data are copied and pasted into Microsoft Office Excel Workbook.
- Error appears due to corruption in the desktop icon for Microsoft Excel.
- There is conflict with the other programs when you are opening VBA Excel file.
Then, after you know the causes of runtime error 1004, you surely want to know how to get rid of this kind of error. Here, we provide you several methods to fix runtime error 1004 either manually or automatically. Here they are.
Fixing Runtime Error 1004 by Uninstalling Microsoft Work
- To uninstall Microsoft Work, first, you have to go to Task Manager and then stop the whole programs that are running.
- Then, go to the Start menu and choose Control Panel.
- After choosing Control Panel, select Add or Remove Program.
- Then, you will be given the list of programs which are now installed in your computer. From the given list, select Microsoft Work.
- At last, click Uninstall to remove Microsoft Work from your computer.
Fixing Runtime Error 1004 by Deleting “GWXL97.XLA” File
- First, make sure that you have booted your computer with administrative rights.
- Then, as usual, click on Start menu.
- Choose Explore option.
- Then, open this directory: C:\Program Files\MSOffice\Office\XLSTART.
- Here, delete “GWXL97.XLA” file.
- After closing the explorer, you can try to open the Microsoft Excel.
Fixing Runtime Error 1004 by Creating New Excel Template
Rather than copying an existing worksheet, you can put a new worksheet file into a template to solve this kind of error. Follow the instructions below.
- Run your Microsoft Excel and then create a new Workbook file.
- After that, remove all except one of the Worksheets.
- Format the Workbook to your liking.
- Then, add data, charts or text which you want in your default template.
- Click on the Office button and click Save As.
- Choose template for the Save as type from the Save As applet. And then, give it a File name and click save.
Fixing Runtime Error Using Ms Excel Repair Tool
If you do not want to fix the runtime error 1004 manually, then you can fix it automatically using Ms Excel Repair Tool. This tool is unique and it can repair multiple corrupted excel file and recover everything like cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and the other data. The interesting one is that this tool is easy to use. You can download this tool for free in the internet.