Have you encountered with error code 0x80004005? Usually, you face such error when you are installing new software program. You can also face this error when there is a missing DLL file. There are several Windows applications that can give you this error as well as the Windows itself when you are trying to run several basic operations like copy or move files, open shared folders/ drivers, access zipped folders, update Windows or install new programs. This error happens when the system file is missing or broken and it is caused because you do not maintain the system with care properly. Corrupt or missing DLL files and corrupt registry are also the main reason of 0x80004005 error. There are some solutions that you can try to solve the Error code 0x80004005 in Windows 7/8/8.1 &10. There you go.
1. Running an SFC Scan
Such error can caused by system files which are required for Windows Update to be able to download and install updates getting corrupted or damaged. In this case, a System File Checker (SFC) scan is the way to go because it can detect corrupt/ damaged Windows system files and repair them, fix the problem and allow the affected update to be downloaded and installed successfully.
2. Deleting everything in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribut
The general cause of this error is a corrupt version of the affected Windows update being downloaded for several reasons. In this case, you have to delete all the corrupt downloads in the folder where downloaded Windows Update are stored and then download and install the affected update. You can follow the instructions below.
1. Hit the Windows key + E to open the File Explorer.
2. And then, navigate to the directory of %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribut
3. After doing that, press CTRL + A to choose everything in the folder.
4. Hit Delete.
5. In this stage, you have to confirm the action in the resulting pop up.
6. Close the File Explorer.
7. And then, empty the Recycle Bin.
8. At last, restart your computer.
After doing the steps above, wait for the computer to boot up and run Windows Update to check whether the affected update is successfully downloaded and installed.
3. Downloading and installing the update manually
If you face error code 0x80004005 when you download and install a specific Windows update, you can bypass this this error by downloading the standalone update package for the specific update and installing the update into your PC manually. These are the steps.
1. Open an internet browser and navigate to a search engine.
2. Look for something along the lines of “Microsoft Windows update KBXXXXXXX download”. KBXXXXXXX is to be replaced with the KB code assigned to the update you are search for.
3. Locate and click a link to a download page for the standalone update package of the Windows update in question. Make sure that the link that you click is a link to Microsoft official website.
4. Download the standalone update package for the update that you search for.
5. If it has been downloaded, run it and follow the onscreen instructions to install the update.
So, if you face the error code 0x80004005 again, you can try the methods above. Thank you for reading this article. Have a nice day.