A running toilet can waste lots of water. If you find a running toilet, you can fix it by several methods. A ball float can be used to fix a running toilet. Do you know how to fix a running toilet without a ball float? But, if you have not a ball float, you can try other method to fix a running toilet. Then how to keep the toilet from running intermittently? Well at the moment we will explain you the method to fix toilet running intermittently. Its method can you see in the text below.
- Please Lift the cover from the toilet’s tank and put it in the safe place. Put some drops of food coloring in the tank’s water when the toilet is silent again. Then see where the food coloring goes.
- Remove any parts of the flapper valve’s chain which are bound up when you see leakage of food coloring through the flapper and into the toilet bowl. Then turn off the water to the toilet by twisting the water supply valve’s handle clockwise until tight if the water leak continuously around the flapper.
- After that flush the toilet once to drain the water from the tank. Then remove the flapper from its hinge on the fill valve and then remove the chain from the end of the arm in the tank. Please the new flapper tab onto the hinge in the fill valve. Plug the chain into the arm in order to the chain has only about two to three sagging links in it. It can help to keep the chain from binding up.
- Then if the food coloring leaked around the bolts in the bottom of the tank, please tighten the nuts on the underside of the toilet tank. Afterwards insert the screwdriver into the slot on the head of the bolt, do not forget to hold the bolts firmly while you tighten the nuts by using the wrench which adjustable.
- The last please replace the tank’s bolts, nuts and washers if the leaking continues. Then hold the bolts stationary by using the screwdriver while you remove the nuts from the ends of the bolts. Afterwards pull the bolts and washers out of the inside of the tank. Then insert new bolts and washers. Please hold the bolts by using the screwdriver while you tighten the nuts to the bolts at the bottom of the tank.
In a case if you find that your toilet keeps running push button, you can remove the column thingy from the cistern.There is a sealing rubber o ring at the bottom. Take this off and then turn it over 180 degrees and reaffix. At the same time, you have to clean the ceramic face on the cistern where this o ring makes the seal. If that method doesn’t work, so you can get a replacement O ring or complete column. The method which we explain is the method to fix a running toilet American standard. Therefore if you are searching the method how to fix a running toilet American Standard, you can follow the steps above.