Have you faced Windows Update error code 80072EFE? This error code can be encountered in some situation such as:
- When you start or shut down your computer.
- When you reinstall the Operating System.
- When you update an application.
- When you install Microsoft-related software.
There are some reasons why this error can occur in your computer.
- The internet connection that is unsteady or unreliable.
- Junk files that are accumulated.
- You download a program when the computer is installing the updates.
- There is an infection of virus or malware.
- Error happens due to installed anti virus or malware program.
- The network configuration is incorrect.
- The windows registry files are corrupt.
- The system drivers are damaged or outdated.
How to fix this error? Okay, you can try to apply the methods below carefully.
Troubleshoot Windows Update
- To do this, the first thing that you have to do is to hit the combination of Win + X keys.
- After that, click on Control Panel.
- In this stage, you have to type Troubleshooting in a search box.
- Now, click View All.
- After clicking View All, click Windows Update at the bottom.
- Now, follow the resultant on screen instructions to the letter before you access Windows Update again to check if the error is resolved.
Update System Drivers
- First, you have to right click on My Computer and then choose Properties.
- In this stage, you have to choose Device Manager.
- Now, navigate through all the devices that are listed while looking out for any device with a yellow exclamation mark.
- After that, right click on any such device and then select Update Driver.
- At last, restart your computer after the update.
Delete CatRoot2 Folder
- The first step that you can do is to click Start and then Run.
- The second step, type services.msc in the Run box and then press Enter to open services.
- In this stage, you have to double click Cryptographic Services and then click Stop if it is running.
- After you have done the third step, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\ folder.
- Now, delete CatRoot2 folder.
- Then, go back to Cryptographic Services and then double click on it before you restart it again.
- Now, try to use Windows Update again to see whether the error is fixed or not.
- To do this, press the combination of Win + Q key.
- After pressing those keys, click on Settings.
- Select Recovery icon.
- Then, choose System Restore from the resultant open window.
- Next, select an earlier date when the computer worked without any issues.
- The tool have to start to run before shutting down the computer and restarting it.
Well, we have discussed the causes and also the solutions to fix error code 80072EFE. You can try to apply the methods when you are facing error code 80072EFE on your computer.